My husband Brock is in Dental School at Tufts. He started seeing his first patients this last month (remember the good ol' days when that first patient took us EIGHT appointments to finish....and they were only a class 3????). I was reminded of some of my early memories when he came home from his radiology rotation a bit frustrated last week.
He was assigned to take an FMX on a patient. The patient was missing his lower molars. Brock was told by one of the assistants to take PA's of the area anyways so they could check the bone level (EVEN though they were taking a panoramic x-ray). Understandingly annoyed, Brock set the PA up and took the x-ray. Take #1. Upon walking in the room, he realized that he hadn't even put the cone on the right side of the mouth, let alone pointing in the right direction. So he repositioned the cone...take #2. After take #2 he realized he hadn't plugged the digital PA film in (I don't know what these cords are called). Take #3 was successful. Then the assistant walks in and looks at the wall where, low and behold, the lead apron hangs. Oops!!! The whole fmx was taken without it.
I laughed so hard. Not because he messed up, but I had all of these images floating in my head of hygiene school. I remember more than once forgetting that lead apron. Do you tell the patient or not in this situation? I never did.
I remember when we were told to only 'selective' polish. I had patient who had basically zero plaque and amazingly white shiny teeth. I 'selective' polished every one of those babies. Then during my instructor check, Meg said, "Man he has such nice, white, shiny teeth I bet you didn't have to polish hardly at all." Umm.....well, very akward silence followed as my patient and I made eye contact and I remained silent.
Or there were those times when we numbed the wrong side of the mouth....
I'm glad those days are over! Although I still have my moments in the dental office. :)
11 June 2009
Remember When???
Posted by Brock and Kristina at Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Isn't it funny how some of those things are just second nature now? Poor Brock, I certainly feel his pain.
wow, that brought back nightmares! and no, I never told my patients anything when I made a mistake!! And there were plenty of them.... poor Brock. That story made me laugh even though I'm sure it was horrible!
Post a Comment